the wanderer
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
  Amani
We’ve just returned from visiting the Amani Home for Street Children after moving into our new house. They guys have a friend named Neema (pronounced nay-ma) who’s a great girl we’ve been hanging out with. She was part of the “other friends” I mentioned in my last post. She’s a secretary at Amani and offered to show us around today before we go to her place for dinner tonight.

After getting the grand tour, giving them one of the books that Jim's mom gave me before leaving, and meeting several of the children, who were so glad to see us and so incredibly polite, I’m at a loss for words. Part of me feels that it’s a wonderful place, a sanctuary where 80 kids ranging in age from 3 to 15 or so can at least have a bed, food, and a handful of dedicated social workers and volunteers to care for them. The other part of me, well… it’s hard to verbalize just how I feel.

The boys’ room has 10 single bunk beds, so 20 total. They’re all crammed together because the boys sleep at least 3 to a bed. There are 65 of them in a room of about 250 square feet. The mattresses are old, worn and filthy, and they share one giant cupboard where they all have part of a shelf to put their few clothes on. The girls’ room is smaller, with 7 beds. There are 12 girls at the home, but the few mentally disabled kids and the younger boys stay with the girls. Otherwise, in the boys’ room, the older boys take advantage of them. I don’t think I need to elaborate on that any further.

There’s one other room with 8 beds (4 bunks) for the exemplary kids. On a rotating basis, the children who are best behaved get to stay in this room. It’s not much nicer than the other two.

The kids help make the food, and they wash all of their own clothes. Their playground is dry dirt, their “classroom” is an outdoor patio. The kids do get sent to school but for new arrivals, some prep work is required before they can attend class and this happens within the makeshift classroom. They have some swings, balls to play with, and some organized activities, but overall I’d say that any children’s home in America would be like Disneyland to them.

It took a lot of willpower for me not to cry, there and once we were in the car on the way back into town. My mother had some shopping to do with Solomon for the house. Solomon will be living with us, to take care of us and make our meals. I feel safer with him around. So when Anthony said he would go to the internet café while we shopped I decided to opt out of shopping and get online as well. I need a break. I need to write this all down immediately.

I wish I could upload my pictures from Amani right away. The youngest child there was only 2 when they found him on the street. He had no name, so he was baptized Amani. He is three and a half now and has the eyes of an angel.

Amani is Swahili for “peace”.
 
Comments:
i started weeping and i wasn't even there. it must have been so terribly hard for you to keep your game face.

good girl.

love you!
 
I looked at the video on the Amani Home for Street Children's website, it's very touching, seems encouraging although it's not perfect as you have described. I'm glad you have arrived safely and are well, you are in my thoughts. Take care poopie!
 
I just want to let you know that I'm reading these and I check it all the time to see what's new. I'm glad you're doing this...miss you!
 
Thanks guys. I'm still trying to make sense of it all and figure out what can be done to help. I'm working on getting pictures up here soon...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger