the wanderer
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
  Neema's house
Went to Neema’s house last night for dinner and had a great time. Everyone we’ve met so far has been so hospitable. When you’re a guest in someone’s home they give you nothing but the very best they have to offer. I suppose it’s usually the same at home, but it seems like even more of an important custom here.

We ate, we drank some beers, talked with a CCS volunteer from Bermuda who’s teaching English here for 3 months, danced, joked around, and laughed until our stomachs and cheeks hurt. Quite a contrast from yesterday afternoon…

I forgot to mention yesterday that Neema lives with 3 girls she's taken under her wing. They are all around 20 years of age. Two of them lost their father to AIDS and their mother couldn't take care of them and her 8 other children. I'm not sure about the other girl but I know she had a hard life. Neema is using the money she earns to help them pay their school fees. They work a bit as well, but without her they would have a very, very hard life.

When we got back to the house I wrote a letter home and cried. I was exhausted, emotionally drained, and really wished I had my husband next to me for comfort. I had a terrible night’s sleep. The malaria pills I’m taking, Malarone, have been giving me incredible dreams and vivid nightmares as well. I’m slowly getting used to it but it’s very frightening to wake up in the middle of the night in a panic, under a mosquito net, not knowing where the hell you are.

Well, I have to get back in time for dinner. Tonight’s menu is pumpkin soup and then spaghetti, or as Solomon calls it, macaroni. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Anthony is letting us join him on a day trip to the Maasai village – he always goes a day or two before taking a group to let them know we’re coming and to make final preparations. My mom asked if we could go with him, since she’s gone before and we have a LOT of things for them, and he agreed. It would be a bit strange to donate all this stuff in front of the other 12 people who are coming this weekend.

Maasai tomorrow. Finally.

 
Comments:
Wow! What an adventure. I've always been interested in the Maasai people. It's absolutely incredible that you are going to meet and experience their culture. Wow!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger