the wanderer
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
  Home
I'm at home. When we got to Newark yesterday I was exhausted. I was miserable on both our flights - stomach cramps, dizzy, etc. - and was treated like a piece of dirt by one flight attendant on the flight from Amsterdam to Newark (after having already encountered an impossibly rude one on the first flight). I'm not in top mental shape at the moment, and his actions only made me feel worse. Other passengers even complained about his treatment of me. KLM and Northwest will be getting angry letters from me very soon.

I had to be wheeled around in a wheelchair when we landed at Newark airport, I was so weak. My mom suggested I just fly home from Newark rather than continuing to Montreal for 4 days as planned. It was a tough decision to make, because I wanted to see friends and family and consult with Engineers Without Borders very much, but in the end it was the right choice. What a relief it was to see Jim's face at LAX yesterday... I needed to be in my own home.

I'm still dizzy, emotional, and my stomach feels horrible, but I feel slightly better every day. My legs are really weak, which I think is a result of having been so dehydrated from the dysentery. It feels like I ran a marathon yesterday. I'm having a hard time eating since everything feels acidic in my stomach, and makes me nauseous half an hour later.

But my husband is taking good care of me, and our dogs are entertaining me. It's freezing here, it's 55 degrees (13 celsius). My mom must be frozen solid in Quebec.

I'm still in shock from my trip having ended so abruptly. It's going to take me some time to sort all that out in my head.

Dysentery or not, though, I loved Africa.
 
Comments:
Just wanted to thank you for your story. It was fun looking vicariously through you.

It sucks that you feel sick...hope you get well soon.
 
i'm looking forward to reading when you go back ;)
thank you for sharing your personal time with your mom.
 
...I mean living vicariously...
 
I have truly enjoyed reading your blog and am so glad you shared your story.
I had not checked in for a while so I was shocked to read that you had gotten so sick so fast. I'm sorry you had to cut your trip short.
As it has been almost a week since your last post I hope your are feeling better and can return to your work soon.
 
Hi Olivia. I'm Sean Howard's friend with the family connection to Tanzania. We met in Cantors bar at the beginning of February. You gave me your mom's phone number in Moshi but I lost it. Turns out, we'll be living in TZ. My wife and kids are there getting settled and looking for a job and I'll be joining them soon. If there is a possibility of your mom having some sort of employment for me, please contact me at robertschleifman@yahoo.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger