the wanderer
Friday, March 10, 2006
  Kilimahewa and baby Agnes
We visited a school this morning just outside of town called Kilimahewa. This place started when one father (in the red shirt on the picture) decided to home school his kids - but it very quickly grew into 90+ students when everyone in the neighborhood asked him if their kids could attend too. He and his wife (the woman next to him of course) now welcome all of these children into their home every day. He's got a huge heart, and you can tell just by how happy the kids are. I think I gave more high-fives to these little ones in half an hour than I ever have in my life! We gave them lots of school supplies, a children's book, and some cupcakes, and as a thank you they put on a little song and dace routine before we left. It was great.

Yesterday my mom and I went to Upendo Children's Home, the place she volunteered at for three weeks in September. It was a stark contrast from what we saw today. There are caregivers, or nannies, who bathe and feed the kids and change their diapers, but there is no palpable love at Upendo. The nuns who run the place don't seem to get directly involved with the kids either. At least, I told myself, these babies aren't in the streets. My mom's favorite boy at Upendo, Filippo, is being transferred shortly to a home in Dodoma that specializes in HIV+ children. He looks healthy and vivacious for now, and I hope he fares well in his new home.

So of course after visiting Kilimahewa I couldn't resist the urge to go back to Light in Africa. I playes with some other children, but mainly I just wanted to see my sweet Agnes. I've been thinking about her daily for the past week and a half. I don't know what it is about this girl that tugs at my heart strings, but I just can't resist her pretty face... She pops into my mind every night when I go to bed. Mama Lynn told me today that Aggie came to them because her mother died in childbirth, and the father had no means of taking care of her. I'm happy to find out she didn't have as traumatic a reason for winding up there as some of the other kids had... I'll probably go see her again before we leave.

 
Comments:
OMG. Baby Agnes is so adorable...I got my postcard today! Thank you so much!
 
Olivia, this is Mary Ann Woodruff from Seattle. I was at CCS with your mother in September, and another volunteer,Margaret, sent the blog. I am fascinated with your writing. I send greetings to you and your mom, and wishes for a safe, marvelous rest of your trip.
 
Barbie White from somerse UK left CCS end of Feb great things have been happening with the school under the trees..now there is secondery education at Kilimahewa and the group is swinging!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger