the wanderer
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
  Let the Rains Begin!
After posting yesterday we returned to Amani to say hi to Neema and check in on the two boys we bought home from Arusha on Saturday. We had quite a few things left to donate, and brought them all with us. Our luggage will really be light on the way home - I even gave away my running shoes (I have sneakers and flip flops left) and most of the shirts I've been weaing here. Feels nice to have so little to pack up now.

Anyway, Yusuf and Luka (pictured here with my mom, Luka is on the left) were delighted to see us, and I had a blast while one young girl with lots of attitude pulled up my shirt sleeves to see my tattoos. She obviously was fascinated, and called over her friends to see me. I was tickled to notice that she had written and drawn all over her hands with pens. Maybe she'll grow up to get a bodysuit?

We shook hands with these two, who promised they wouldn't run away from Amani. I hope they keep their word.


Took Anthony, Neema, and Solomon out to dinner afterwards at a mzungu restaurant called Indoitaliano. I like the food there - their Aloo Gobi is disappointing but everything else I've had is good. I like a place where you can get both Dal Makhani and pizza. There's lots of this here.

The food was delicious. At least we thought so... Poor Solomon, who was disappointed with his small portion, said, "You know, this is like giving an elephant chewing gum". He wolfed his food down, went across the street to get some quick local food, and came back to join us. Needless to say, we all had a good laugh.

Great conversation throughout the meal, probably the most interesting topics I've heard discussed since I've been here. We talked about domestic violence and cultural differences between Tanzania and the rest of the world, about children, life and luck (bahati, in Swahili).

Just as we wrapped up our meal a torrential downpour began, complete with booming thunder and surprisingly bright bursts of lighting. People from the terrace ran inside for shelter and many of us watched the storm grow vicious outside, awestruck. Soon the water started creeping into the restaurant, to the amusement of most of the patrons.

The power cut out for a few minutes, so those of us with flashlights (they're essential here!) broke them out and helped some of the restaurant's staff make their way to the front of the restaurant with boards and some random objects, to try and keep the water out. Within five minutes, it was almost 2 inches deep. We rolled up our pants and waited for our taxi... I wasn't sure he'd make it at all!


But he did, eventually, and we raced outside into the storm. Anthony gave my mom a piggy-back ride (which provoked howls of laughter from everyone in the restaurant!) and although we were out in the rain for no more than 10 seconds, we were completely drenched. The taxi waded slowly over to our house, which thankfully is up on a hill and wasn't flooded, and the storm stopped moments after we got in the door.

I have to say, it was a really, really fun night. Now if trying to figure out Tanzanian residence permit requirements for my mom was even half that fun, we'd be in business!
 
Comments:
That's some serious rain!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger