the wanderer
Thursday, March 02, 2006
  Safari this weekend
I'm looking for information on solar powered well pumps, or solar power in general. If you or anyone you know can help, please contact me with the pros and cons of voltaic vs. battery systems. This is for the Maasai Maji (Maasai Water) well project. You can find my e-mail address by clicking on "View my complete profile", to the right of this post.


So my mom and I are leaving tomorrow (Friday) morning at sunrise for our safari. We didn't manage to find anyone else to join us, which would have been nice because having a bigger group lowers the cost, but it's just as well we do it this way... Now it's all up to us where we go and what we do. For those who enjoy my brief Swahili lessons, safari is Swahili for "trip" or "journey".

We'll stop in Arusha early in the morning to buy some food, then drive straight to Ngorongoro Crater. We'll be there by 2 or so, which leaves us ample time for an afternoon game drive. There's a campsite outside the crater where we'll have dinner while we watch the sun set, and spend the night.

Saturday morning we'll be rising bright and early for a game drive inside the crater with Anthony and our driver Amos, whom I just met. Solomon's going to pack up the campsite while we're gone, then we go pick him up and drive to Serengeti.

Saturday night, we'll sleep in the Serengeti. (Just typing that sentence was rather exciting!)

Saturday morning another really early game drive so we can see the lions in action. I think sometime around noon we'll leave the park and begin the 7+ hour drive back to Moshi.

It's nice to have this fun weekend in the middle of our trip. We have so many things to do while we're here that none of it has really felt like a vacation. Not that I expected it to, but hey, I'm in Africa for the first time after all, and I'm happy we're taking 3 days for nothing but f-u-n.

Before I go home to start packing for the weekend I want to thank everyone who has written me, or my mom, about my blog. I'm really touched by your lovely comments - and so glad to share our adventure with you. I hope you keep reading, we're only halfway done!
 
Comments:
Have fun on Safari! You deserve to have some time for yourselves as well as all the others you are helping!
 
enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
 
I can't wait to see more pictures. I showed them to Nick the other night as I shared with him parts of your journey so far. I love it and I can't wait to hear about your safari!!!
 
Wow, this is all truly amazing, thank you so much for sharing this! I came here via the post on BME about your experience with the Maasai girl and your stretched lobes

I too have been fascinated with the Maasai since I was young and someday I hope to share a similar experience as you are having right now, just hearing your thoughts and feelings about what it is like there and seeing the photos is like gold

I look forward to every future post and wish you all the best in your journey
 
dear olivia... it is so nice to be able to read about your adventures and see beautiful pictures. i can only imagine what it must be like for you and your mom to be out there, hanging out with the masaai. i think about you both often and hope the rest of your trip is wonderful. please tell your mom i said a big hello.

i miss you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
A man's homeland is wherever he prospers. -Aristophanes

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
ARCHIVES
January 15, 2006 / January 22, 2006 / January 29, 2006 / February 12, 2006 / February 19, 2006 / February 26, 2006 / March 05, 2006 / March 12, 2006 / March 19, 2006 / January 04, 2009 / January 18, 2009 / February 08, 2009 / February 15, 2009 / February 22, 2009 / March 29, 2009 /


Powered by Blogger